[inspic=307,left,,150]KWD-globalpipe, 11.01.2010. Over the course of the past 30 years, plastic pipes have proven their value in many applications and have replaced pipe made of conventional materials, for example concrete, steel and also copper, around the world. Plastic pipe systems are mainly used as pressure pipes for water and gas distribution inside buildings and in underground construction but also increasingly for the transport of chemicals, food and compressed air in industrial applications. Examples for non-pressure pipe applications are sewage pipes and downspouts. This report focuses on plastic pressure pipes for indoor hot and cold water transport only, thus on plastic pipes for hot water systems in residential and non-residential buildings.
[inspic=306,right,fullscreen,200]Major applications for indoor pressure pipes are:
- Radiator connections
- Hot water panel heating and panel cooling systems
- Distribution pipes and rising mains for heating systems
- Indoor distribution pipes, rising mains for hot and cold potable water
- Indoor distribution pipes, rising mains for gas
- Special applications, for example sprinkler installations, private connections for onsite heating, pipe grids for snowmelting systems, piping for swimming pools, industrial pipe lines, etc.
The following non-metallic pipe materials are used:
- PE-X Crosslinked Polyethylene
- PP Polypropylene
- PB Polybutylene
- CPVC Chlorinated Polyvinylchlorid
- PE-RT Plyethylene raised temeratures
- Composite pipes (PE-X / AL / PE-X or PE-RT / AL / PE-RT)
PP-R was one of the first plastic materials to replace metal for indoor pipe applications. Developed by Chemische Werke Hüls, now Sabic, PP-R at that time became increasingly popular in Western Europe, particularly in Germany, Austria, Spain and Italy. For example, PP-R was the most widely used plastic pipe material in Italy at the peak of its success.
The total amount of PP-R used will most likely remain the same but decline in European countries.
Detailled information on PP-R quantity estimates by countries can be found in our PP-R Market Report.
Reasons for the PP-R unit growth
- PP-R pipe systems have a good price-performance ratio. Pipes and fittings are made of the same, relatively inexpensive material.
- Large-diameter pipes and large fittings can be manufactured economically which makes PP-R pipes a preferred choice for all kinds of large projects.
- Another success factor is the joining technique. With unbeatable inexpensive fittings and simple tools, homogeneous connections can be made very easily and safe by means of polyfusion welding. Comprehensive fitting product lines, also including fittings with metal inserts for screw connections, facilitate all pipeline configurations including the changeover to metal pipe systems.
- Compared to the more flexible and easily bendable pipe, for example made of PE-X or composite pipes, the higher stiffness of PP-R pipes is a disadvantage yet hasn’t been an obstacle in the new PP-R markets.
For the assembly of PP-R pipe systems more fittings are needed than for others and thus, the process is more time consuming. In countries with low labor costs and low educational level, as in the CIS States, Turkey, Asia and South America, this is overcompensated by the low material costs and the ease of the assembling process.
Especially in these countries which are often in transition from steel pipe to plastic pipe, the robust, thickwalled PP-R pipes with their straight pipeline configuration are particularly appreciated.
KWD-globalpipe has published now the KWD Market Report “PP-R Pipe Systems for Hot Water Installations worldwide 2009”, 86 pages, printed with many colored charts and tables, in addition the report will be delivered as a pdf-file on CD-ROM. Author ist Achim Seydel, who has a 35 years experience in the plastics pipe industry.
The aim of this report is to describe the current status of the indoor PP-R pipe system market, to provide an overview of the product lines, product specifications, production processes and competitive situation in the industry as well as to identify market potentials and possible future developments. The PP-R Market report is available immediately. Our subscribers pay only 480,- Euro (others 600,- Euros). The PP-R report is available in english and german language. Please find some more information in the attached information file. (firstname.lastname@example.org).